Summer is here! Which for those us who live in the upper mid-west, means it is officially GRILLING SEASON. Getting the grill out is a great way to enjoy the outdoors while preparing some of our favorite meals. The downside? Sometimes those traditional barbeque meals have side dishes that not everyone can enjoy when living on a restricted diet.
This gluten-free, dairy-free, fresh veggie side salad may sound too good to be true. But, trust me when I tell you that even the pickiest of eaters will enjoy this recipe! (Pro-tip: Don’t tell them it’s healthy).
The next time you are invited over to the neighbors’ for a barbeque or a work pot-luck, give this recipe a try! It pairs well with barbeque chicken, pork-chops, or even a simple way to add some veggies to your hamburger and hot dog spread!
If you are short on time, I recommend chopping these fruits and veggies the night before and adding the wet ingredients prior to serving. To save even more time, use a mandolin to help you chop. Because let’s be honest, it’s officially summer time and we don’t want to be cooped up in the kitchen longer than we have to.
Don’t like it spicy? No worries, just omit the jalapenos. Don’t have walnuts on hand? Use pecans instead! I totally recommend buying these already chopped, but use whatever you have in your pantry. This recipe is very versatile and can be edited to your individual tastes easily. If you are someone who hates bell peppers, try using raisins or pomegranate seeds.
Make this recipe your own, but be sure to leave a comment and let us know how it turned out!
Apple and Cauliflower Side Salad
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 2 Granny Smith Apples Can substitute any apple you have on hand
- ½ Cup Walnuts
- ¼ Cup Yellow Bell Pepper
- ¼ Cup Orange Bell Pepper
- ½ Jalepeno Seeded and Deveined
- ½ Cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- ½ Cup Fresh Parsley
- 6 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Start by chopping the Cauliflower florets into rice-sized pieces. (If you have a mandolin, use it! this could speed up your prep time). Core the unpeeled apples and cut into match sticks. Chop the Walnuts. Dice your bell peppers and jalapeno into small pieces. Combine all these ingredients into large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil. vinegar, mustard, and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour wet ingredients over cauliflower mixture. Toss to coat. Be sure to taste and season further with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let mixture stand for at least 5 minutes prior to serving or make ahead and store in and air tight container in the refrigerator.