Sometimes living on a restrictive diet can leave you feeling HANGRY. You know that your new lifestyle is not only improving your health, but also making you feel better. But, you are human! And, it is natural to have emotions about food that you once enjoyed and are no longer able to eat.
Pancakes are one of those comfort foods that you remember eating as a child. Naturally, you want your own children or grandchildren to have these memories as well! Insert the pancake recipe that everyone can enjoy. Bonus.. no one will know these were made without real butter!
What makes them Dairy-Free?
In my opinion, pancakes need to be topped with “butter”. Which is why this recipe calls for a vegan butter option. Now, if you love coconut oil, go ahead and substitute that in equal parts. If you are a former butter lover, like myself, then I recommend finding a good plant-based butter alternative, and stock up!
If you haven’t committed to a dairy-free lifestyle yet, I challenge you to give it a try for a couple of weeks and see if you notice a difference. Many of us live with a lactose intolerance and don’t even know it! There are other health benefits from eliminating dairy from your diet. Learn more about Reasons to Stop Eating Dairy.
There are tons of options out there for plant based butters. Don’ get overwhelmed when finding one. Try a few and see what you like and what you don’t. The one I used for this recipe is Country Crock’s Plant Based Butter made with Almond Oil. It seriously tastes just like butter and my local grocery store carries it! Win-win.
More and more people have eliminated gluten from their diets for good reason. Gluten is the culprit for many ailments that people suffer from and blame it on “getting older”. To learn more about Why People Choose Gluten Free, visit out blog page.
This recipe calls for Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free flour, but you can certainly use any flour of your choice. Use whatever you have in your pantry or what your local grocery store offers.
Give this recipe a try this weekend and see for yourself how easy and delicious it is! Whenever you try one of our recipes, we love your feedback. Comment below or post on our Facebook page and let us know how it turned out, and if you did anything differently to make it your own!
Dairy Free Pancakes
- electric skillet or fry pan
- ½ Cup Vegan butter, melted can substitute coconut oil
- 2 Eggs, large
- 2⅓ Cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free baking flour
- ¼ Cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ Cups water
- Whisk together the eggs, water, melted vegan butter (or oil), and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. (Flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.)
- Slowly add the dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredient mixing bowl. Stir until most of the lumps are gone.
- Grease your pan or skillet with the vegan butter or coconut oil. Heat to medium or medium low until a water droplet sizzles. (Temperatures vary based on cooking method and altitude).
- Pour ¼ cup batter into circular sized pancakes. (More if you like larger cakes) Cook until you see bubbles on top side of pancake and edges are golden brown. Flip. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately and top with your favorite organic maple syrup and fruit.
- Allow leftovers to cool completely prior to storing. Refrigerate or freeze remaining pancakes.